District Council is the principal authority for legislation and control of the district, with certain reservations regarding a district referendum. The Council’s term length is four years, since the election day.
The Council Members are elected directly; separate provisions of law stipulate the general rules of election.
The Council has exclusive jurisdiction in the following matters:
Enactment of local laws, including but not limited to the District’s Charter; election and dismissal of the District Board; establishment of the Board’s Chair salary; election and dismissal, upon starosta’s call, of the Secretary and the Treasurer of the District (the Treasurer being the head accountant for the District’s budget); decisive power upon the policy directions of the Board; processing of the Board’s work reports, including but not limited to financial management reports, the District’s budget approval, budget execution report; the power to grant discharge (or not) to the Board, upon consideration of the aforementioned reports; enactment of laws regarding revenue levels and fees, in accordance with current law; enactment of laws regarding financial business of the District:
- Rules of acquisition, disposal, encumbrance or lease of real estate for a term longer than three years, unless relevant laws do not provide otherwise.
- The issue of bonds and the rules of their acquisition, disposal or buyout.
- Long-term borrowings.
- Establishment of the maximum short-term loans taken by the District Board; maximum loans and guarantees issued by the Board during financial year; expenses assumed as a result of investments and renovations the value of which exceeds the yearly limit established by the Council.
- Establishment of and accession to associations, societies, foundations and cooperatives; the authority to dissolve or leave them.
- Establishment of and accession to companies and partnerships; the authority to dissolve or leave them; establishment of the rules of contribution, acquisition, disposal or buyout of shares and stakes.
- Cooperation with other districts and municipalities, if a breakdown of assets to other entities is involved.
- Establishment, transformation, closure and assignment of assets to structure units.
- Laws regarding assuming government management tasks and assigning the management of public tasks.
- Establishment of the limit of expenses possible to assume by the Board.
- Laws regarding cooperation with local communities of other countries and laws regarding joining international associations of local communities.
- Enactment of the district’s criminal prevention, citizen safety and public order preservation program.
- Enactment of the district’s program to counteract unemployment and foster local labour market.
- Assessment of fire safety and flood safety of the district.
- Laws regarding the flag and the coat of arms of the district.
- Laws regarding grants and scholarships for pupils and students.
- Laws regarding any other business prescribed by the law as the Council’s jurisdiction.